TXASL logo

TXASL logo

Friday, December 4, 2015

The Traveling Librarian

by Carolina Castillo
Ballew Early College High School, Buell Central Disciplinary Alternative Education Program, Sonia Sotomayor Early College High School in Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD

I am a teacher librarian. I taught 5th grade for 8 years and then pk-5th grade for six years, I quickly learned how important a librarian can be in the eyes of our students. Even though they didn’t remember my name and called me ‘Ms. Librarian,’ they knew that I was the person who connected them to that one book they had always being looking for. Then I challenged myself to a traveling librarian position. I moved among three alternative high school campuses; Ballew ECHS, Buell Central DAEP, Sonia Sotomayor ECHS as the librarian for each of these high schools. I dared myself to make a difference.

I could visit each campus for only a day and a half each week. I wanted to require every student to read for at least 15 minutes. I didn’t get a positive response from any of my students, aside from the few who said, “Are you crazy? I don’t think so. I haven’t read since elementary…” and other similar excuses. I thought, “O.K. then I will read to you!” I started looking for books that are at about a 3rd -4th grade reading level and worked alongside ELA teachers, using their lesson planning and plans as guides. Students would work on a lesson; I would come in to reinforce the lecture using a short story. I read to the students, asked them questions related to the lesson, then had them write a response – I was bringing them back to reading. I also showed a couple of book trailers to the students in hopes that someone would eventually pick up those great novels. The students got more reading than they had in quite a while.

Now in my 2nd year at these three alternative campuses, it is amazing to see these students coming in to my libraries to ask for a particular book or e book, or help with homework and resumes, or… I also love to see students walking around with a book hidden in the side pocket of their (dress code) camouflage pants or coming in to ask for a book just before a school break. Reading is something that they had not done in a while and thought they would never do again– now it is something they are proud of, that they have set goals for, and that they enjoy and see value in.

A win for this Traveling Librarian.


No comments:

Post a Comment