TASL Voices for Conference 2016 (You are coming to Houston, right?)
By Renee Dyer, TASL Chair 2015-16 and Librarian at Weslaco East High School (WISD)
As the Chair of the Texas Association of School Librarians, and as a librarian in the Rio Grande Valley, it is very important to me to ensure that talented, school librarians from around our great state have a chance to share their knowledge and expertise at the 2016 Texas Library Association Conference. With the help of Dr. Laura Sheneman, Coordinator of Library Services and Information Resources for Region One Education Service (McAllen area) and Mrs. Nora Galvan, PSJA’s (Pharr-San Juan-Alamo) District Library Coordinator, I contacted all of the School District Library Coordinators throughout Texas. I asked them each to email me the names of librarians in their districts who were doing great things in their libraries and districts. With their help, and the talent of the school librarians throughout Texas, our 2016 conference is gearing up to be one of the best ever. Below you can see the most current list of sessions TASL has in the works for our 2016 Conference. I hope you will all make plans to attend. Stay tuned for some new blog voices from among these new presenters! TASLTalks would love to also hear from folks in the western half of the state – just email the editor.
The above map shows where all the TASL presenters for the 2016 TLA Conference hail from.
These programs are listed with emphasis on the school district so readers can look for their friends, and make plans to attend conference to see their programs. Not included here are additional programs by well-known Texas librarians – you’ll recognize those names when time gets closer. Look for these new folks with great new ideas and approaches!
- Choosing Great Read Alouds and Creating Curriculum Connections for PK-2 Elem Students -- Angie Arnett, Megan Casas, Betty McGinness, Cy-Fair ISD
- Clubbing in the Library: Inspiring Students through Library Innovation -- Terri Harknet, Joy Prather, Diana Weber Prosper ISD
- Disruptive Innovation: Dismantle the Structure and Open the Environment -- Stephanie Green, Dayan Hernandez, Klein ISD; Ian Powell, PBK Architects
- Global Read Aloud: Connecting Classrooms Around the World with Author, Jenny Holms -- Seantele Foreman, Michelle Leggett, Pearland ISD
- Library Cafes- have your school cafeteria build one for your library: Harlingen CISD did it-so can you! -- Dina Cano, Ana Cavasos, Mireya Galvan, Harlingen CISD
- Museum or Circus?: Finding Balance in Your Library -- Amianne Bailey, Marnie Cushing, Colleen Duke, Sharon Harmon, Alison Reyes ~~ Mesquite ISD
- Resource Re-Defined: School Libraries as Learning Spaces -- Stacey Cameron, Nancy Jo Lambert ~~ Frisco ISD
- Roll Out the Red Carpet!: The 2015 Branding Iron Award Winning Program --Kristi Cook, Bradley Noble ~~ Klein ISD
- S.O.L.E.: Self Organized Learning Environment a new way to teach the research process -- Tracy Hayes, Leslie Reynolds, Brittney Tubb ~~Mesquite ISD
- School Librarians as Instructional Leaders: Be a Super Hero to your campus staff! -- Laura Sheneman~~Region One ESC
- Summer Reading Reinvented -- Thomas Simiele, Pasadena Public Library; Melissa Rippy, Dr. Christine Van Hammersveld, Pasadena ISD
- Transform Your Teaching using ng Technology Application TEKS -- Cassie Janda, Pam Krueger ~ Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD
- Using Backward Design to Reinvigorate Your Library's Curriculum -- Francine Rader, Regents School of Austin
- The War Against Boys: How libraries are a great starting place for helping boys achieve their highest potential -- Elizabeth Friend ~~ Frisco ISD
- What's On The Menu? Collaborative Lessons with Classroom Teachers and Librarians -- Angela Steagall ~~Tuloso-Midway ISD
- Windows to Reading: Opportunities for Improving Literacy Outcomes for Students -- Linda Erwin, Kathryn Stephenson ~~ Aransas County ISD